Friday, January 14, 2011

28: D'oh!!

11.13.2010 - I often wonder, when it comes to sneaker nicknames, which comes first - the sneaker or the nickname? Obviously the shoe has to be produced before it's actually owns a specific name, but do the designers at Nike purposefully create sneakers with the intent that they will be given certain monikers? Do they draw their inspiration from the pop culture, art, music, etc. references and then design the shoe? Or do sneaker fans give the shoes particular names after they connect the colorways to the things they have seen before?

This may sound confusing or even trivial, but maybe an example would help...

Nike SB x Kid Robot x Simpsons

Is Homer Simpson the first thing you think of when you see a blue, yellow and white shoe? Probably not. But look at the shoe again. Then look at the picture again. The blue jeans, the white shirt, the yellow face and arms, the black for his shoes and even brown for his beard.

I guess it might only be the type of thing you think about if you're really a shoe freak. While other people are busy trying to solve problems with global warming, I'm here sitting and wondering where shoe names come from. While the former is certainly more noble, I must say that I enjoy the peacefulness of my existence.



Nike Dunk Low Pro SB - White/Medium Yellow -University Blue ["Homers"]
+ SF Giants New Era 5950 + Casual Industries "Goggle" Tee + Levi's 514 Premium

This Saturday, Kara and I attended a snow sports convention in Santa Clara Convention Center, "Snow Bomb." I wouldn't have gone (or even known) if I hadn't gotten the Groupon a few weeks earlier. Though we really only went because entry included three free lift tickets, we found it to be a good opportunity to get a jump on some of the gear we needed for the upcoming season. Though I find everything I was looking for, I did score that cool DaKine bag for $30. Sweet! Or as Homer would say, "Woo hoo!"

{Currently in the Speakers: Dynasty - Adventures in the Land of Music}

1 comment:

  1. this blog site is so cool... like your updates :)

    ReplyDelete