Tuesday, November 30, 2010

23: DIY

10.31.2010 - Before Nike ID made it possible for consumers to pick colors and materials for their own custom Nikes, sneakerheads had to come up with more innovative ways to create the sneakers they couldn't find in the stores. Leather paint for different colors, soldering guns for cement and other effects, and custom fabrics and sewing are just a few of the popular methods enlisted by sneaker customizers for their 1 of 1 designs. The Corduroys were my first venture, my first start to finish custom sneaker project.

i know i take my shoes off in weird places,
but to get the unique shots i want
it's totally worth it.

It all started with a trip to HUF SF. Back in the day, before HUF was an international streetwear icon and boutique mecca, it was a single, small, humble store in Union Square San Francisco. I remember like it was yesterday, on one trip to said boutique; when my eyes met her eyelets, I knew I had found the ones. I had found my canvas (on sale!) - a simple white Nike Dunk with a navy blue sole and navy inside trim. They were dying to be customized and I was dying to customize them. It was like destiny.

In that moment of inspiration, I knew exactly where I wanted to go with them: to create something I hadn't seen before. A quick stop at Savers then Michael's provided the materials I needed: a pair of used navy corduroy pants, fabric glue and a navy blue permanent marker.

Tracing the patterns was probably the easiest part of the job. A simple piece of notebook paper and a pencil made a fine pattern on which I could mirror the fabric. After cleaning the leather surface and prepping it with alcohol, I glued the corduroy pieces on. Four whole pieces per shoe, nice clean cuts. Then came the tedious part: coloring the stitching. I know that it is hard to tell from afar, but love is in the details. I wanted these to come out right.

After several days of work off and on, I had my first customs. They didn't come out as great as I'd imagined, but it was a great learning experience -as you can tell from the pictures. First, I should have burned the edges of the corduroy or done something else to the fabric to prevent the ends from tattering. Also, I should have probably tried to use a stronger glue. Sewing should always be option number one when it comes to customs, but if you don't want to spend that much, make sure you use a glue that is flexible and sticks. Finally, while I liked the idea of the detailed stitching, the execution with the permanent marker came up short. Not sure if it was due to my unsteady hand or due to the marker itself, but it could have been better.


Nike Dunk Low Pro - White/White -Midnight Navy [Corduroy Custom]
+ Gap Button-up + Levi's 501 Selvedge STF

I know that this was a simple job, but I hope this inspires all you sneakerheads to get out there and try to customize a pair for yourself. It's really a fun experience. Plus, it's also extremely rewarding to know that the pair on your feet isn't just a 1 of 1, but it is your original creation. And to anyone else out there who is looking for a little extra flavor on your sneakers, you have an aspiring customizer here looking for practice -holler at me. =)


{currently in the speakers: Child Rebel Soldier - Don't Stop}


P.S. Click on the pics to see more detail/larger version.

(Photo Assist Credits: Rholinelle Joy Fuentes)

No comments:

Post a Comment