Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vinyl Appreciation Feature

I'm not sure I understand the appeal. Is it because the kid inside everyone never wants to stop buying toys? Or is it a statement from the artsy community that they don't really take themselves so seriously? Maybe it's a little bit of both or maybe I'm completely off the mark altogether? I'm not sure I understand the appeal... But I am a fan of vinyl toys.

It all started many moons ago. I was still in college. I'd heard of Kid Robot before, but never really knew what the whole thing was about. On a random walk down Haight Street, I stumbled upon their little boutique in San Francisco. "Wow..." I said, as my head spun around (and around). I was like a little kid in a... toy store.

I admire the design and blank silhouettes that go into the vinyl designs. I am intrigued by the art and ideas that go into the finished releases. I respect the time and skill it takes to finish a custom piece of your own. I love the the mystery you get with every little cardboard box and foil wrapper. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an addict or anything. But I definitely appreciate vinyl toys.

As a part of the "culture" section of sneakers.culture.life, I've decided to devote some space to these atypical pieces of art. This week, I've chosen to feature a few interesting pieces I've come across from the internet and different forums. Enjoy...











This is just an extremely small sample of the huge world that is out there. May be new to you. May be something you've already seen before. What do you think of vinyl toys? Do you collect them? Don't understand them? Love them? Have some customs or pictures of others' customs you'd like to share? Post in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment