Saturday, October 30, 2010

17: Elevens (pt. 1, Zen)

10.16.2010 - As I've mentioned previously, I like to save my unique shoes for special occasions. While I would definitely rock a pair of Dunks to the mall, I save the more limited release editions for date nights and larger family gatherings. I have certain sneakers that I generally wear for going out, the ones that are nice but I don't mind getting dirty, but if there's a show or a birthday happening, I might step it up to a pair of Tokis or Blazers that merit being brought out for special events. When choosing my sneakers for these events, I want people to say, "Woah, you wore those? This must be a special occasion."

fancy huh?

In the hierarchy of sneakers, few have a way of saying "special" the way that Jordan XIs can. They are iconic and striking. They are elegant and well designed. They are comfortable and understated. They are unique. They are special.

I’ve talked about the Jordan XI before in this blog already. The fact that this is “pt. 1” can only means that I will be talking about them more in the future. Of all the Jordans I own, I own more pairs of XIs than any other. But through the years, I’ve worn them less and less. Not because they’ve fallen out of favor with me, quite the opposite in fact. I wear them less because I want to preserve them. Because they are so highly desired, the XIs are one of the most expensive on the secondary market –to replace the pairs I have with brand new ones across the board would cost over $1500 (and I don't even own every colorway!). I love them, but I don’t want/can’t afford doubles. So they mostly stay safe in the box on the shelf.

There was no big event going on this Saturday. But it was date night and the Giants had just won another playoff game. I was feeling good and I wanted to dress things up just a little bit. Of course, the Jordan XIs fit the bill perfectly.



Jordan XI Retro Low - White/Light Zen Grey ["Zens"]
+ New Era SF Giants Retro 5950 + H&M Cardigan + Levi's 514 Premium

When the Zens released, they were a Nike exclusive. While I was away on my senior trip, my parents waited in line at Shoe Palace for me –they found out the hard way. I felt truly horrible that they wasted their Saturday morning and went through all that trouble, but at the same time I was really touched. My parents love me. After they got home, they jumped on the internet and ordered them from Nike.com. A few days after I returned, they arrived at my door. Real collectors appreciate every intricacy of the shoes they love, from the styling on the box to the smell of a brand new pair. People who own a pair of Jordan XIs especially know what I am talking about. Beautiful. Clean. Elevens.

Just because date night is simple, doesn’t mean it’s not special. But as any sneaker head knows, the right kicks make special events that much better.


{currently in the speakers: All I Want Is You - Miguel f. J. Cole}

No comments:

Post a Comment