Thursday, October 28, 2010

sports. culture. life.

I wore my Giants jersey to work today. Since the playoffs started, more and more of my co-workers started wearing Giants gear to work -shirts, jerseys, jackets, etc. Normally, I would wear a collared shirt or a long sleeve to work, along with jeans and some clean normal sneakers... you know, trying to keep it semi-pro. But when I saw two managers walking out the door decked out in full Giants gear, hats and everything, I knew I had the green light.

So I wore my Giants jersey to work today. My 2002 World Series Barry Bonds jersey. I know they lost that year, but I always wear it proudly. If you can't stick through a team through the tough times, you don't deserve to be a fan. Plus, 2002 was a great year (here's lookin' at you, Kara) and Barry Bonds was one of the greatest baseball players of all time (say what you want).

As I was putting away some files in the main entryway, a loud mouth group counselor I've never seen in my life says, "All these Giants fans comin' out the woodwork." Side comments from the crowd about bandwagon fans followed.

"Funny," I replied. "Especially since this patch on my left arm says '2002'." The crowd responded with "ooh"s.

"Ya, 2002 patch, 2010 receipt," he quickly retorted.

He obviously wasn't right, but the witty response got me. A simple, sharp, "You don't know me," from my side got the crowd laughing in my favor. "He just gives everyone a hard time," they told me after he'd left. But it didn't matter. I didn't care. He's probably a Braves or Phillies fan. Or more likely, a Dodger fan. Yuck...

In either case, it got me thinking. Why is everyone so quick to reserve space on the bandwagon? I heard a conversation on the radio on the drive to work: Gary Radnich asked Patrick if he was mad at all the Giants "fans" jumping on the bandwagon.

"No, not at all," he replied. "The more the merrier. If you're a new fan that's fine, just don't go out there pretending you're an OG." In my opinion, P-Con hit the nail on the head. (queue *pound it* sound byte)

Why would you be mad if someone is cheering for your team?

Think about it.

What sense does that make? Isn't it always a good thing if someone else is cheering for your team? I understand you might take issue with people who are wishy-washy and always cheer for the team that's winning. Or maybe someone who talks smack about the team during the regular season when they're not doing so well, but then turns around and cheers for them later. But if your team is doing well enough to be converting new fans, who was there first should be the last thing you're concerned with.

People get really caught up in who was there first or who the bigger fan is. Does it really matter? Sports isn't about that. It's about getting up in the excitement and the spirit. Cheering together, booing together, crying together (and in 3-6 more games) celebrating together. If you're worrying about other stuff like bandwagon fans, then you should check yourself.

So I say, the more the merrier! It doesn't matter who was here first! Anyone who genuinely wants to jump on the "Let's Go Giants!" bandwagon and stay on, fair or foul weather, is more than welcome in my book. Just don't say you've been a fan since '89 when the oldest ticket stub you have is from August 2010. ;p

3 comments:

  1. if anything this posts has reaffirmed in my paradigm.. its that i am in no way a bandwagon-er... yes people can hate all they want on the fact that i like the dodgers... but with all the electricity and hype in the bay, i still stick with my colors... deuces nug...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bandwagoners aren't that bad, but fairweather fans DO bug me. That might only be because I have a coworker who is so obviously fairweather but denies it. He changes the sports team he roots for every year based on who's doing well, and I've never once heard him cheer for the Giants. This year, once the Giants got to the playoffs, suddenly he was all about them. One day, I wore my jersey to work (which I wear multiple times a year), and he says to me, "All these people suddenly showing up to work in Giants gear." Grrrr! So I said, "Umm, no. I'm a Giants fan born and raised, not a fairweather fan like you." He didn't talk to me for a week. :-P I told Aldwin this story, and he said that I'm just mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aldwin was right, that was mean. But it was also really funny. Right up my alley =)

    ReplyDelete