Monday, October 4, 2010

9: Since '97

09.29.2010 - I've said before, that the great things in life have a tendency to stand the test of time. Great friends are definitely one of those things.

I transferred to Liberty Baptist in the 1996-97 school year. Being the new kid making my second transfer in four years didn't help my already somewhat "shy" attitude, but I put my good foot forward and soon made some close friends. After I left the school in 1998, I didn't think I would ever really hang out with those guys again, but like I said, good friends tend to stand the test of time. After graduating from different high schools, after I went away for college for a few years, after more than 10 years from the first day I sat in class with them, I still talk to Ed and Pat, and I still hang out with them and our "Crew" when I can. We're older now, but can still laugh at the same things. I love that... (shout out to Ed's mom)

It was Ed's birthday today and we were going out to dinner. Even though I knew they wouldn't notice, I wanted to pick a pair of shoes that had some significance.


shiny

The Air Max '97s are one of the symbolic pairs in my collection. In high school, a group of classmates and I got into a discussion with a teacher about why we buy expensive sneakers. We couldn't afford to buy those shoes when we were kids and our parents wouldn't buy them for us. But now that we're older and have jobs and can afford them for ourselves, they brought a sort of nostalgic fulfillment.

While I always thought Jordans were cool, the shoes that I always wanted growing up were the shiny ones with the cool features and the big Air Max bubbles. The Penny's. The Pippen's. The Barry Sanders'. But the Air Maxes? Those were almost like holy grails for me. Not only were they iconic and well designed, but they were expensive -more expensive than anything my parents would consider buying for me. I could never have them as a kid. When I was in college and my friend Andrew told me he had an extra pair for sale, I had to have them.





Crew, since '97
Nike Air Max 1997 - Metallic Silver/Varsity Red - Neutral Grey - Black
+ Old Navy Short Sleeve Button-up + Levi's 514 Premium

"Aren't those the shoes that Larry used to have?" Pat said as we were walking out from Buca.
"Yeup."
Looks like they did notice. While the group of friends knew I was "into shoes" Pat and Roland were generally the only ones who paid any attention or had any idea what was up.

After dinner, we spent a few hours outside the restaurant -talking, laughing, telling stories, taking pictures... No need to go places and do things if you're just enjoying each other's company. Good times... good times. Happy Birthday, Ed.

{currently in the speakers: Notorious BIG f. Puff Daddy, Mase - Mo' Money Mo' Problems}
(the jam in middle school!)


*Bonus Section*


Van, creating his own "food challenge"



Happy Hanukkah Birthday!


(Photo Assist Credits: Andy Nguyen -thanks)

3 comments:

  1. are those also called don johnsons? those are boss. i used to own a pair. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan O'Brien = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1996_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men's_decathlon

    Don Johnson = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Johnson


    ...close though. haha.

    ReplyDelete