Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Standing the Test of Time

As I've grown older, I've come to realize that the things you really love in life tend to follow you in your journey. Not that you should ever take these things for granted, but when it is something you really love, you find a way to stick together.

Flaky friends fall away. Bad influences get weeded out. Trendy hobbies get pushed by the wayside.

Family stays. Good friends stay. True passions stay.

I'm officially on the high side of 20 now and after a turbulent couple of last years, I'm starting to recover from my quarter-life crisis and get things in order. Weeks after I "took a break" from my writing gig at that game website I used to write for, I realized I didn't miss playing that game anymore. What I did miss, however, was writing.

Others draw. Paint. Take photographs. Sing. Dance. Play instruments. Create things. Everyone expresses themselves in different ways. As simple as it is, I guess I express myself with words. My brother jokingly said the other day that my sister sings and he plays the guitar -and I "don't do anything." I thought about it, but couldn't respond. I can't believe it took me this long to realize it, but I do do something. I write.

Now, I'm writing for me. Not that I didn't enjoy what I was writing about before, but towards the end I was really uninspired and trying to please a readership base that is notoriously difficult to please. I'm writing now because I want to. Because I love writing. Not only this, but I'm writing about the things I love most; expressing my passions as best I know how. Sneakers, music, art, fashion, food... life -in words (and pictures). It truly is a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Hopefully this blog will inspire you to pursue your own passions and spend time with the people and activities you love. Peace.

{currently in the speakers: Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon}

2 comments: