Sunday, September 26, 2010

7: Back to School

09.25.2010 - Kara's been studying for her CPA for what seems to be over 12 years now (really more like a little over 12 months, but who's counting?). After breakfast she said that she was going to study before date night. I've been meaning to go to the Santa Clara University library to do some research for my business plan, so I proposed that if she were to study there I could join her.

A lot of this...

to get some of this...

to turn it into a "something like this" of my own.

SCU has changed a lot since I've been there, and I'm not just talking about parking. It seems every time I've passed by since I graduated in 2006 they have been doing construction on something; a new building here or there, taking something else down. But the most obvious change is the new library. Nice to see our tuition money being put to use for something... constructive.

To be 100% honest, my experience at SCU wasn't the greatest. The student body while I was there was very, for lack of a better word, segregated. Don't get me wrong, it's not like they had separate drinking fountains or anything like that, but growing up in a melting pot high school like Independence then transferring from a widely diverse public school in UC Riverside, I've never felt like a minority in my life until I went to SCU.

However, it wasn't until after I left that I truly realized the value of social participation -I never went to any parties or social events, never joined any clubs or frats, never really tried to get to know people outside of the people I already knew. And I wondered why I always felt like I was on the outside looking in? I will concede that me feeling out of place during my time there was more my own fault than anything else -lesson learned. Needless to say, if I could do it over again, I have no doubt that I would.

you are here. where do you want to be?

Though I was excited at the opportunity to take a step forward with my business plan, I was tentative at the fact I would be returning to a place of such disinclined memories. Driving to the parking garage was like driving back through time. But once I stepped onto campus, things seemed a little different. I knew I was different, but I got the feeling Santa Clara had changed as well. I don't know if it was just me, or the new library, but everything just seemed a little more... colorful during my visit yesterday.






Nike Blazer Mid - Medium Grey/Orion Blue - White
[Nike x Zoo York collaboration]
+ True "So International" Shirt + Levi's 501 Selvedge STF

It may have just been the weekend crowd or the limited sample size. Still, I don't want to be a skeptic. I'd like to hope things change for the better. With the world the way it is nowadays, you have to hope things change for the better.

I didn't plan to go Day 6: "Professor" and Day 7: "Back to School," I swear it just worked out that way. Life is definitely a learning experience in progress. Just like in class, life is a lot more fun when you participate.

{currently in the speakers: Kanye West - Heard 'Em Say}


*Bonus Section*

the reason we never got anything done while studying together in college...
(yes, Kara made me guess "Jabba the Hutt" in Hangman)



shots of the new library


(Photo Assist Credits: Kara Pacis -thanks)

No comments:

Post a Comment