Sunday, September 12, 2010

0: Goodbye Summer

09.06.2010 - This is Day 0 because it technically occurred before I officially started the One Hundred x One Hundred Project. That being said, this post is evidence that I was really putting thought into this before I actually launched it. Unlike many other ideas I've had up to this point, I actually acted on this one. Don't worry, the others aren't lost. They're just... pending.

Last Monday, Labor Day, the family and I caravaned down old Highway 1 to Hearst Castle. Hearst, not the same as Hearse -an error I corrected after breakfast at McDonald's that morning.

If I really planned it out, I wouldn't have used these shoes for the "big debut". I mean, they're called the "Barfs (1)"! But what I did know was that since we were taking a family trip, it would be a great opportunity for photos and I wanted to put together at least a semi-decent outfit. And after I started taking pictures, I knew I wanted to share them. Highway 1 is just prime for photo ops, after all...

view from Pacific Coast Highway "vista point"

This was my first time going to Hearst Castle, but not my first time traveling Highway 1. The reason I remember is because I started feeling car sick towards the middle of the trip. "You know how some people like to eat in the same places? Well [some people] like to barf in the same places." Sorry to gross you guys out, but the reason why I remember that I've been on Highway 1 before was because I remember throwing-up at a very specific General Store pit stop as a kid on a different road trip with my family. So I guess the "Barfs" were more appropriate for this day than I thought. Funny how that works out...

To avoid me re-experiencing my past horrible experience, majority of this voyage consisted of my headphones, my newly formed "Blackberry Hip-Hop" playlist and a lot of sleep. I honestly didn't know what to expect with Hearst Castle. I've heard from various sources that the place is either boring or amazing. After the tour, I decided to settle with the latter. While I know it's not the type of place you want to visit every week or even every year, I can definitely appreciate the history, architecture, art and the overall lavishness of the whole deal. I used to watch MTV Cribs a lot. I started watching it for design ideas for my (future) store -looking for different materials, layouts, etc. I kept watching because, the more I saw what people were building for themselves, the more it inspired me to dream bigger and work harder. I wasn't envious or jealous of them, but rather took the approach of, "What can I do to get there?" Visiting Hearst Castle was like watching an episode of Super MTV Cribs x50 on crack 4G .com. Ya... (Bonus pics after the jump).





Nike Dunk Low SB - Navy/Outdoor Green- Chocolate ["Barfs"]
+ H&M Button-up Hoody + Levi's 501 Selvedge STF

Spending time with family on a nice trip down Barf memory lane, Hearst Castle pimpin it, and a fat dinner at Black Bear Diner in Gilroy topping off the evening -a great day to end an awesome summer. The next time I visit Hearst Castle, it'll be my own take on the place, on my own lot, and all my friends and family will be the guests. Thanks for the inspiration, William.


{currently in the speakers: Kanye West - I Wonder}

(1) Sneakers are often given nicknames, by collectors, based on their color combination, brand collaboration, some pop culture reference related to the shoe somehow, etc. These names range from more obvious ones like Forbes (after Reese Forbes' signature Nike Dunk SBs) and Brazils to some more clever monikers such as the Homers and Jedis.


*Bonus Section*


some dude proposed to his girlfriend in front of the pool



ya, that pool.


gold ceiling. ya.

game room that attaches to the movie theater.



the indoor pool. as if the outdoor one wasn't boss enough.

(Photo Assist Credits: Rholinelle Joy DeTorres, Michael Hipol -thanks)

2 comments: