Saturday, September 18, 2010

2: Friday Night Lights

09.17.2010 - I've never been to a high school football game before. While I was at Independence, I attended church on Friday nights. Plus, the fact that none of my friends played for our school and our team was just overall pretty bad gave me no incentive to ever want to go. That being said, I attended my first high school football game this Friday.

There was excitement in the air as JR and I walked onto Mount Pleasant High School's athletic field. We missed the early JV game, but we made it just in time to see the varsity play under the Friday night lights...

"Hype is something that's not for real. I'm all real."
-Boobie Miles, Friday Night Lights

The boys in our family have always been football fans even though none of us got to play. JR came close, but transfered schools. I never really got into playing sports until I was in college. Mel tried out one year, but due to a combination of circumstances, he didn't end up playing for the team. And it was a similar story for Jether.

Last winter, we started a bit of a casual football mini-league. What started as our Sunday post-afternoon/ pre-night NFL game on the side street next to Vista Verde eventually evolved into a Saturday morning, cleats, flags and cones weekly ritual. We got up early to get the most playing time in before it got too warm. Teams were mixed up according to matchups and we played every Saturday for several months (except when it rained). It was exciting because everyone was dedicated and got really into it. I even planned out a decently elaborate touchdown celebration for when I would hit the end zone every week including: Lebron James' pre-game "powder"; New Year's hat, streamer poppers and blow horn; and the "everyone get in the picture" celebration.


As serious as we were about the game, we never kept score and spread the ball out so everyone got a chance at action. No one got seriously hurt and everyone always had fun. I'd like to hope that those games were part of the reason Jirael and Gabo ended up going out for the team this year -so we could all live our high school football careers vicariously through them.





Nike Blazer High Premium (Tier Zero) White/Black-White
[Nike x Stussy x Neighborhood collaboration]
+ H&M Button/Zip Hoody + TRUE "Just Doing My Job" Tee + Levi's 514 Premium

Even though the actual game concluded with a disappointing end, just being there, hanging out, cheering, heckling, laughing, talking and taking the team's (and band's) struggles in stride made the night. I'm finding out that good times with good people has been a recurring theme in my life recently. Friday was no exception.

{currently in the speakers: Lil Wayne, Jay-Z - NFL Theme (Remix)}


*Bonus Section*

the fans

Aunty Shar came through big time w. the tailgate bag
hot dogs, burgers and veggie chips + Capri Sun to wash it all down!

Cheerios



clockwise from me: Uncle Frank, Gabo, JR, Miko, Nick,
Ammon, Jirael, Mel




(Photo Assist Credits: Joy Anes, Michael Hipol -thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment