Thursday, September 16, 2010

1: One Love

09.12.2010 - The first out of one-hundred -I had to start things off right. Firsts are a big deal for me. The first time I wear a new pair of shoes, taking out on their maiden voyage if you will, it has to be for something. I wouldn't just wear them randomly to the mall, it would have to be someone's birthday. Or it wouldn't be for just a normal class day, but maybe for a big family event. That being said, which shoes would be the firsts in my journey to one-hundred?

I felt it would only be right if I chose a pair of Ones. But which Ones? Air Forces? No, too typical. Air Trainers? Not enough significance. Air Max? Maybe, but let's look for other options. Jordans? Jordans... I've just had an apostrophe. (I think you mean an epiphany.) Lightning has just struck my brain.

There was no better shoe in the sneaker world to start off a list with than an Air Jordan. And the Jordan I's (1) were the perfect start.


since '85 (foreground). since '83 (background).

I only have two pairs of Jordan I's -both of which I received as a high school graduation present from my mom. Even though I had to wait by myself at Shiekh's in Great Mall to get them (this was back in the day when if you got in line at 6AM you were first; not like today where campouts for multiple days for the most hyped shoes are not uncommon), these shoes are special to me because they always remind me of her.

As you can tell, I'm not lying when I say they hold significant sentimental value -it's the reason I've worn them less than ten times in almost ten years. I wear Jordans for good luck. College midterms and finals, MtG Regionals and PTQs, that sort of thing. I only wore these when I really needed a miracle: Jordan I + my mom is an insane combination of luck summoning power. So when I picked them for my first day on the blog, I knew it was going to be a great day. And a great day it was...





Air Jordan I+ - White/Navy - Silver
+ Old Navy Plaid Button-up + Levi's 501 denim

It wasn't quite first Sunday, but it didn't have to be; it's always a blessing to go to church. It wasn't going to a huge fancy party, but it didn't matter; the small family parties we have are the ones I love the most. And it wasn't an especially busy day, but it's ok; I got everything done that I wanted to get done: go to church, spend time with family, relax and have a great day -check, check annnd check... that's it.

I don't need to wear an awesome pair of shoes for it to be a good day. But when I have a good day and am wearing an awesome pair of shoes, it makes it that much better. If you know what I mean, you know what I mean.


{currently in the speakers: Lupe Fiasco - Daydream}

(1) Jordan shoes are unique in the shoe world as they are numbered in Roman numerals, as opposed to something like Jordan '95 (ie. Air Max '95). This ran from Jordan I until Jordan XXIII (#23, where I predicted they would stop) -they currently use the year system for all new models. Basketball pro models that follow the Roman numeral system today (ie. Kobe, Lebron) derived said system from his Airness. And I'm sure that's not the only thing they emulated from Jordan.

*Bonus Section*


Oysters!

they're all watching the game, but she's always watching me.


cruisin' on a Sunday afternoon

(Photo Assist Credits: Rholinelle Joy DeTorres, Michael Hipol -thanks)

P.S. Lunch to whoever can name the movie from the quote at the end of paragraph two.

P.P.S. Google search is for cheaters.

2 comments: