Tuesday, September 21, 2010

5: For Daily Use

09.19.2010 - I'd like to think that I'm the type of shoe collector that can appreciate a well designed shoe of any style whether it be a runner, basketball shoe, casual shoe, dress shoe, boot, even girl's shoe. But in the recent years, I've realized that you might be more accurate if you labeled me more of a "Nikehead" than a "sneakerhead."

When it comes to shoes that I will actually buy and wear, if two shoes are comparable (whether it be for form, function or both), 99 times out of 100 I will pick the Nike over another brand. Vans Chukka boot? No thanks, but I'll gladly rock those Tokis. New Balance 993? The grey Air Max Ones will suit me just fine. Sperry Topsiders? Fancy, but I heard Nike is coming out with new Mad Jibes; I can wait. Supra Skytop? Those are nice, but give me some Retro Jordan Ones or Dunk Highs any day. It has really gotten to the point where I hesitate buying a shoe that I like just because it's not a Nike.

I've been wanting to get a pair of Vans for a while, but I haven't ever been able to bring myself to do it. They're simple, look comfortable and they're cheap -great everyday shoes. But they're Vans. Not to say anything against anyone that has them, but here in the Bay Area, everyone has them. Enter: the Nike Zoom Stefan Janoski SB.

clean

I hesitated at first when I first saw previews of these on the message boards. They looked like so many other "casual" Nikes that preceded them in the 90's; you know, the cheap ones you see for $20 in the outlets? The thing is, they weren't. They were just different enough. Add a quality suede upper, some Zoom Air on the inside and some perfect timing and you got me sold! Leave it to Nike to make a few small improvements and call it a brand new shoe. But hey, I'm not complaining. Stefan Janoski, your Vans Nike SB pro model is perfect for daily use. (see: tongue tag)




Nike Zoom Stefan Janoski SB - Black/White
+ "I Been to the Lamsion, son" limited edition promo tee
+ Gap Cargo shorts + New Era SF Giants Retro 5950

I think one of the big reasons I'm starting to love this shoe is because they're really versatile (doesn't look bad dressed preppy or casual) and available lots of colorways. I don't think I'm the only one feeling these either. While prices aren't shooting through the roof (we're in a recession after all), these shoes have a huge following and are getting harder and harder to find. It's not going to be Dunk fever again, as I've vowed to diversify my collection in my aging years, but I can definitely promise this won't be my last pair of Janoski's.

{currently in the speakers: Wale - Beautiful Bliss}


*Bonus Section*

coming to a skate shop near you...

Anthracite/ Jetstream - September 2010 release

Black Leather/ White - Holiday 2010 release

Sport Red - March 2011 release

Navy/ Gum - Summer 2011 release


and a few you might be able to find online
...if you're lucky

White/White - Perforated Leather

Pine Green/ Sail

Black/ Mint

Pacific Blue/ White

Nike x Michael Lau collaboration

(Photo Credits: Kara Pacis -thanks, Flight Club, Shelta.se, Solecollector forums)

P.S. Shout out to my good friend Pat Lam, co-owner of the Lamsion and part of my inspiration to start my own blog.

P.P.S. Shout out to my other friend Pat Mitchell. I can never beat him in fantasy baseball -this year was no different. (See? I'm a man of my word.)

2 comments:

  1. Nike Zoom Stefan Janoski SB Anthracite/Jetstream im lookin for em in size 9 im down to pay 110 for em you kno any one ?

    ReplyDelete